Maldives Police Service has completed the investigation into the sexual assault and harassment allegations against former Tourism Minister Ali Waheed, and submitted the case to the Prosecutor General’s Office for charges.
Ali Waheed was dismissed from his position as Tourism Minister on July 9, after allegations that he sexually assaulted and harassed multiple female employees at the Tourism Ministry was brought to the attention of President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
A police spokesperson said on Wednesday that police submitted paperwork relating to the case against Ali Waheed to the Prosecutor General’s Office on October 7.
The police previously stated that they took statements from 15 individuals in connection to the case.
Speaking to press after giving his statement to the police, Ali Waheed professed his innocence and said that he was being framed.
Ali Waheed said he believes the case against him to be influenced by politicians, and that a fair and independent investigation will prove his innocence as well as the reason why he was being framed.
Ali Waheed had been initially asked to resign voluntarily, but was dismissed after he refused.
He has been succeeded by Dr. Abdulla Mausoom as Tourism Minister.