Gas leak causes fire in Nolhivaranfaru, injuring mother and child

HDh. Nolhivaranfaru.

A gas leak in a home in HDh. Nolhivaranfaru resulted in a fire on Saturday morning, injuring a mother and child.

Nolhivaranfaru Council’s president Abdulla Nadeem told Sun the incident took place between 06:00 am and 07:00 am.

A 32-year-old woman and her two-year-old daughter sustained injuries in the incident.

“The gas cylinder did not explode. But the gas leaked resulting in a fire. The woman lives with her two children. But only the two-year-old was injured,” he said.

Nadeem said the woman sustained burn injuries to her hands, legs and face, while her daughter sustained some burn injuries to her hands and legs.

Both the woman and her daughter are in stable condition, he said.

The family was initially treated at the Nolhivaranfaru Health Center, before getting transferred to Kulhudhuffushi Regional Hospital at approximately 09:00 am.

The incident on Saturday comes after a woman died from burn injuries following a gas cylinder explosion in a home in GDh. Rathafandhoo earlier this August.