Amindhiye released, charges against her dropped

Protests held against child and sexual abuse in Male' City on July 3, 2020. (Sun Photo/Muzayyin Nazim)

Charges filed against the 59-year-old woman arrested under suspicions of sexually abusing a minor in Addu City were dropped on Thursday and allowing her to be released from custody.

According to Maldives Police Services, on Wednesday the case was forwarded to the Prosecutor General’s Office for a decision regarding criminal charges.

Following this, PG Office on Thursday decided that there was not enough evidence against her in the case.

Police confirmed that Amindhiye was released on Thursday night.

In addition to this, Police stated that thorough investigations were conducted into the case and attempted to gather evidence. They added that despite their best efforts, they were unable to gather enough evidence against any other suspect in the case.

Amindhiye (Amindhatha) – a custodial worker at a school in Hithadhoo, Addu City – was arrested on suspicions of sexually abusing a six-year-old student studying at the school on March 31.

Amindhiye’s family, along with a large number of Addu residents believe she was wrongfully arrested. They allege the victim identified her abuser to investigators as to her grandfather. Her arrest sparked protests in the city as well.

Hithadhoo Magistrate Court had jailed Amindhiye pending the outcome of the trial; a decision she appealed with the High Court.

High Court, on Wednesday, backed Hithadhoo Magistrate Court’s decision, declaring it to be legally sound.

Meanwhile, the Human Rights Commission of the Maldives (HRCM) has stated that they were probing into a case filed by Amindhiye.

In HRCM’s statement regarding the petition submitted condemning the detainment of Amindhiye – the authority underscored that they were monitoring efforts by authorities to ensure the rights of the victim. They added that they were closely monitoring the works of the Police and Gender Ministry in this trajectory.

The petition over Amindhiye’s arrest was filed by youths of Addu City.