Bar Council slashes fee, opens registration for bar exam

New lawyers take their oath on January 31, 2019. (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

Bar Council has opened registration for the bar exam after reducing the exam fee.

Registration for bar exam is open until 12:00 pm September 20.

Students will need to pay a fee of MVR 6,500 to sit for the exam.

Bar Council had originally set the exam fee at MVR 10,000 – which sparked protest from many law students for being too high.

Bar Council’s executive committee has decided the exam will be held in different locations across Maldives, to lesson the burden on law students from islands outside Male’ City.

Students have the option of selecting an exam location of their choice on the registration form.

However, Bar Council said the exam centers outside Male’ will be decided once registration is complete.

85 percent of the questions on the bar exam will be in English language, and the remaining 15 percent in Dhivehi language.

The bar exam was originally scheduled for June 25, but was postponed to November 19 to address concerns from students.