Initial findings in Kulhudhuffushi fire point to arson

Vehicles destroyed in fire at H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi on October 22, 2019.

The police say that initial findings into the fire at a private residence in H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi in the early hours of this Tuesday points to arson.

The fire had originated from a motorcycle parked at the private residence, Kakaa. It spread to a nearby pickup and to the residence itself.

The fire, however, had not resulted in any bodily harm.

Kulhudhuffushi Council president Abdul Latheef Hassan told Sun that the fire had taken place at approximately 3:30 am.

There had been 11 people at the private residence at the time.

He said that the evidence pointed to it being arson, but the reason for the arson attack remained unclear at this point.

“There’s evidence lying on top of the gates which shows attempts to ignite a piece of cloth wrapped around a wooden stick. There was also an aluminum ladder placed at the gates to climb over it,” said Abdul Latheef.

He said that according to the owner of the private residence, the ladder does not belong to any of its residents, and had been brought in from outside.

Private residence damaged in fire at H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi on October 22, 2019.

He said that the ladder is believed to have been used by arsonists to climb over the gates because it had been locked.

“The first thing set on fire was a motorcycle parked inside the residence. A battery pickup parked next to the motorcycle and a black water storage container also caught on fire, and the fire spread,” said Abdul Latheef.

He said that both the motorcycle and pickup belonged to a tenant at the residence who is originally from H. Dh. Nolhivaram. He said that the tenant in question is not in Kulhudhuffushi at the moment.

“It looks like the vehicles were deliberately set on fire…. This is not right at all. It’s not right to do something like this because of a grievance against someone,” said Abdul Latheef.

He said that the fire had destroyed several rooms at the residence beyond use, destroyed household appliances, and had also affected the adjacent residence.

The 11 residents at Kakaa have been moved to temporary shelters.

MNDF reports that the fire was contained through the collaborative efforts of MNDF officers and police officers at approximately 4:40 am.

The case is under investigation by the police – which has yet to disclose the cause of the fire.

No arrests have been made, as of yet.