26 candidates have applied for the post of commissioner at the National Integrity Commission (NIC), including the former President of NIC, Yoosuf Maaniu.
Maaniu was serving as the President of NIC when he was dismissed from the commission on November 23, 2017.
The law requires NIC to have five members. The 26 candidates who have applied for the NIC will be evaluated by the Independent Institutions Committee of the Parliament and sent to the floor for a vote. The names of the five candidates who secure the most votes will be sent to the President’s Office.
THE 26 CANDIDATES:
- Dr. Aishath Shehenaz Adam, M. Amazon, Male’ City
- Mohamed Zaheen, Dhafthar no. 8544
- Mohamed Afzal, Ma. Hilston, Male’ City
- Dr. Mohamed Muneez, H. Elfaasho, Male’ City
- Arham Abdul Raheem, Dhafthar no. 290
- Aishath Hussain Manik, H. Reendhoo Kokaage, Male’ City
- Hussain Hameed, G. Thundiveli, Male’ City
- Shuaib Abdul Rahman, Dhafthar no. 1188
- Ahmed Adheem, M. Rabee-eege, Male’ City
- Dr. Mariyam Shahuneeza Naseer, Thiladhoo, H. A. Dhidhdhoo
- Yoosuf Maniu Mohamed, G. Atha, Male’ City
- Aminath Rukshana Ibrahim, M. Liaage, Male’ City
- Abdul Azeez Yoosuf, Arutha, B. Maalhos
- Rizmeena, Violetge, Dh. Kudahuvadhoo
- Abdulla Raazee, Cozy, Funaadu, Gn. Fuvahmulah
- Shafeeqa Naeem, Beachside, F. Nilandhoo
- Ahmed Moosa, H. Amsa Villa, Male’ City
- Adam Naeem, H. Finibin, Male’ City
- Mohamed Husham Ali, H. Aazaadhuvaadhee, Male’ City
- Nasira Sodhiq, M. Three Bird, Male’ City
- Ali Mohamed Manik, Dhafthar no. 1851
- Hussain Rasheed Yoosuf, Dhafthar no. 2065
- Mariyam Saeeda Ibrahim, M. Kokaa Handhuvaruge, Male’ City
- Hawwa Wajdha, Thundi, L. Gan
- Khadheeja Naeem, M. Ranvaru, Male’ City
- Minna Nafiz, M. Lilies, Male’ City
National Integrity Commission Act states 11 main criterions for application to the commission. It includes being the age of 30 years or above, being of sound mind, being a Maldivian and a Muslim, educational qualification of minimum first degree standard, and minimum seven years of work experience.
The applicant also must not me a member of any political party, be employed by any law enforcement agency, or have any close family relations with any employee of a law enforcement agency.