Suspect acquitted in Anas’ murder arrested with drugs

Police officers during an operation. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

One of the suspects who was acquitted after being found not guilty of the charge against him in connection to the murder Mohamed Anas – a young man from R. Meedhoo who was stabbed to death inside the Litus Service Center in Male’ in 2017 – was arrested while in possession of drugs and alcohol last night.

Anas fled into the Litus Service Center on the night of July 31, 2017, after he was chased by eight people on four motorcycles armed with sharp-edged weapons. The assailants chased him into the center, and stabbed him to death. He sustained 24 stab wounds in the attack.

Charges were filed against eight people in connection to Anas’ murder; seven adults and a young man whose identity has not been disclosed as he was 17 years old at the time.

Criminal Court acquitted the seven adult suspects charged in the case on February 25.

Speaking at a press conference held by the Home Ministry on Tuesday, Deputy Commissioner of Police Ismail Naveen said Criminal Court has yet to issue the case report in Anas’ case to the Police as well as the Prosecutor General’s Office.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Ismail Naveen. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Naveen added that efforts to appeal the judgment will commence as soon as the report is received.

He then went on to reveal that one of the suspects acquitted in the case was arrested last night in connection to a drug-related case. Although Naveen did not disclose the identity of the suspect, he said the suspect was arrested during a search of the speedboat drugs and a large number of alcohol. The suspect had been traveling aboard the speedboat at that time.

“We are revealing this because of how concerned we are,” Naveen added, without going into further details.

Naveen stressed that the police were extremely concerned over the acquittal of the suspects in the case.

The seven adults charged in the case were;  Ahmed Zayan, from Asurumaage, Lh. Kurendhoo; Usman Shareef from M. Dhimishgu; Afrah Abdul Razzaq from M. Lonumidhilige; Junaih Abdullah from Nannaarige, L. Gan; Hassan Mahfooz from Vestonvilla, S. Feydhoo; Simah Moosa, Dhafthar 1746 and Mohamed Saaz, from Gulfaamge, Th. Kinbidhoo.

Ahmed Zayan, Afrah Abdul Razzaq and Usman Shareef were charged with murder with intent using a sharp-edged weapon in connection to the case.

Mohamed Anas: He was stabbed to death inside the Litus Service Center in Male' on July 31, 2017. (Photo/Facebook/Mohamed Anas)

The remaining suspects – Mohamed Saaz, Junaih Abdulla, Hassan Mahfooz and Simah Moosa – allegedly drove the motorcycles – and have been charged as accomplices to murder with intent using a sharp-edged weapon.

Criminal Court acquitted the seven suspects seven years after the crime was committed citing the evidence submitted by the prosecution was insufficient to prove the charges against the suspects beyond reasonable doubt. 

A video of Anas’ stabbing went viral on social media back then which clearly captures the incident.

Dr. Ibrahim Mubeen, who attended to Anas upon being brought to ADK Hospital, testified he had already been dead on arrival. While he sustained 24 stab wounds – Dr. Mubeen said the injuries were severe enough to cause instant death.