IGMH: Garage fire survivor off ventilator, recovering

Fire cleanup at M. Nirufehi on November 14, 2022. (Sun Photo/Mohamed Hayyan)

Indira Gandi Memorial Hospital on Sunday revealed that the survivor of the fire that occurred in Maafannu district of Male’ City, has been taken off the ventilator.

Speaking with Sun, a media official from IGMH said that the patient was now being treated off the ventilator. The official added that the patent was moved to the ward on Saturday night and is recovering well.

The survivor sustained serious burns during the incident and was in critical condition due to it.

 The fire broke out at M. Nirufehi, located near the Maaveyo Mosque, around 12:30 am on November 9. The ground floor of the building housed a car repair garage - where the fire originated from, while the first and second floors housed cramped accommodation for migrant workers.

The fire killed 10 migrant workers; eight Indians – five males and three females, and two Bangladeshis – a male and a female. The fire also critically injured one - a Bangladeshi male.

Maldives Police Services on November 19 confirmed that all the bodies have been flown back to their respective countries. Efforts to transport the bodies of the victims of the fire were coordinated by the Maldives Police Service and Maldivian Foreign Ministry.

During last week, authorities found a human foot during a fire cleanup at Nirufehi. Police have yet to confirm whether the foot belongs to one of the 10 known victims of the fire or another unknown victim.

Notably, the garage is licenced to be operated in Hulhumale’. Police stated that it was being illegally operated in Male’ and that the matter was being probed into.

“Investigative findings show a business registered under the name of the owner of the garage operated out of M. Nirufehi, under the name ASM Garage, and that the business was permitted for operation in Hulhumale’,” said the Head of Death and Homicide Investigation Unit, Inspector of Police Mohamed Samih during a press brief.

However, investigators have yet to determine the cause of the fire.

“Investigative findings establish the fire originated from the garage,” he said.

The investigation into the deadliest fire that occurred in Male’ City remains ongoing.