Parliamentary approval was sought on Monday for the cabinet of the newly sworn-in President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu’s administration.
There are 22 ministers in Muizzu’s cabinet.
As per the constitution, ministers appointed by the president require approval from the parliament to remain in their posts.
The President’s Office, on Monday, said the names of the ministers have been sent for parliamentary approval today, in accordance with the law.
While there are 22 ministers in Muizzu’s cabinet, some of the ministries are completely new. The details of the ministers are as follows;
- MINISTER OF FINANCE: DR. MOHAMED SHAFEEQ
- ATTORNEY GENERAL: AHMED USHAM
- MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS: MOOSA ZAMEER
- MINISTER OF HOMELAND, SECURITY AND TECHNOLOGY: ALI IHUSAN
- MINISTER OF DEFENSE: GHASSAN MAUMOON
- MINISTER OF HOUSING, LAND AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT: DR. ALI HAIDER
- MINISTER OF CONSTRUCTION AND INFRASTRUCTURE: DR. ABDULLA MUTHALIB
- MINISTER OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND TRADE: MOHAMED SAEED
- MINISTER OF HEALTH: DR. ABDULLA KHALEEL
- MINISTER OF TOURISM: IBRAHIM FAISAL
- MINISTER OF CITIES, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PUBLIC WORKS: ADAM SHAREEF UMAR
- MINISTER OF EDUCATION: DR. ISMAIL SHAFEEU
- MINISTER OF HIGHER EDUCATION, LABOR AND SKILLS DEVELOPMENT: DR. MARIYAM MARIYA
- MINISTER OF ISLAMIC AFFAIRS: DR. MOHAMED SHAHEEM ALI SAEED
- MINISTER OF SPORTS, FITNESS AND RECREATION: ABDULLA RAFIU
- MINISTER OF YOUTH EMPOWERMENT, INFORMATION AND ARTS: IBRAHIM WAHEED (ASWARD)
- MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE AND ANIMAL WELFARE: DR. AISHATH RAMEELA
- MINISTER OF TRANSPORT AND CIVIL AVIATION: MOHAMED AMEEN (CAPTAIN AMEEN)
- MINISTER OF TRANSPORT AND CIVIL AVIATION: DR. AISHATH SHIHAM
- MINISTER OF CLIMATE CHNAGE, ENVIRONMENT AND ENERGY: IBRAHIM TORIQ
- MINISTER OF FISHERIES AND OCEAN RESOURCES: AHMED SHIYAM
- MINISTER OF DHIVEHI LANGUAGE, CULTURE AND HERITAGE: ADAM NASEER IBRAHIM
The cabinet includes six incumbent members of the parliament.
Opposition MDP holds the majority in the parliament. Therewith, MDP members’ votes will be required to approve the cabinet.