One month into former Tourism Minister Ali Waheed’s failure to appear before the Criminal Court within the timeframe given by the Court – Sun can confirm no action has been taken against State Minister for Youth Assad Ali (Adubarey) by the Court, who is facing penalization as Ali Waheed’s guarantor for his return.
Criminal Court decided to penalize Adubarey who signed as Ali Waheed’s guarantor for his return within the four-month period granted by the court for his travel overseas – which expired last June – should Ali Waheed fail to appear before them in 72 hours on November 28.
Ali Waheed’s lawyers and Adubarey were summoned to a hearing held at the Criminal Court on the date in connection to the case.
With reference to the Supreme Court’s order against holding online hearings in the case, Judge Hassan Saeed said that adequate time has been given for Ali Waheed’s medical treatment – therefore, ordering his appearance at the court within the next 72 hours. He also added that Adubarey will be penalized should Ali Waheed fail to appear.
In response, Adubarey said that Ali Waheed had appeared before the Court within the four-month period as stipulated in the guarantor’s agreement in reference to Ali Waheed’s attendance to online hearings held by the Court previously in the case.
Whilst more than a month has passed since the Criminal Court’s decision to penalize Adubarey should Ali Waheed fail to appear before the Court in 72 hours – Sun can confirm that no action has been taken against Adubarey as of present.
A senior official from Criminal Court told Sun that Adubarey has not been penalized yet at Judge Hassan Saeed, who is presiding over the case, is presently on leave. The official said that Adbuarey will be penalized after the Judge returns from his leave.
“Such cases cannot be overseen by a judge who is not the presiding judge. That is why the case has been put on a halt,” the official added.
However, the official did not disclose when Judge Hassan Saeed will return from his leave.
Ali Waheed was dismissed as Tourism Minister on July 9, 2020, after allegations that he sexually assaulted and harassed multiple female employees at the Tourism Ministry was brought to the attention of President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih. He was initially asked to voluntarily resign, but was dismissed after he refused.
He has been pressed with seven charges; attempted rape, inflicting a sexual, indecent exposure, sexual assault, attempt to cause sexual assault, and two counts of unlawful sexual contact.
Ali Waheed, had a travel ban order issued against him on July 12, 2020, by the Criminal Court. Following a review, the order was canceled on February 9, 2021, and his passport was released.
Criminal Court had canceled the order and released his passport after listening to the testimony of Ali Waheed’s doctor who was summoned to court to brief the judge regarding his condition, as well as to confirm that he needed to go abroad for medical treatment. The doctor had explained that Ali Waheed’s life may be at risk, if he undergoes surgery in the Maldives.
The Court made the decision to lift the travel ban as he had also submitted a guarantor for his return; Adubarey.
He promptly left for the UK, the same day the Criminal Court canceled a travel ban issued against him in connection to the case.
However, he failed to return to Maldives at the expiration of the four-month period granted by the court for his travel overseas. Subsequently, the hearings in connection to his trial had come to a halt.
Although some hearings were held online initially following this, the Supreme Court had ordered against holding online hearings in the case.