Prosecutor General Hussain Shameem said on Monday that the investigation into the murder of a 13-year-old boy, whose body was found dumped in a suitcase in the Maldivian capital last week, is going ahead at full speed.
The young boy was reported missing by his family on June 20. The police were investigating the case as a possible kidnapping, when the Hulhumale' police received a report on the evening of June 21 of a child being tortured in the restricted area of Hulhumale' Phase II, prompting the police to search the area.
His body was found dumped in a suitcase in the lagoon northeast of Hulhumale’ Phase II at 02:38 am on June 22.
Shameem told Sun that he checked the progress of the investigation this Monday morning itself, and that the police are conducting a speedy investigation into the case.
Shameem said he believes the young boy’s family will receive justice.
Police have made two arrests in connection to the case; a 17-year-old Maldivian male and a 27-year-old Maldivian male.
When presented before the court for their remand hearing on June 22, the court ordered for the 27-year-old to be remanded in jail pending the outcome of trial, and the 17-year-old to be remanded in jail for 15 days.
Police have stated they have made significant progress in the investigation, and are collecting evidence to ready the case for trial.
Police have searched a guesthouse in Male’ City where the suspects were in hiding, and the taxi car they used to transport the young boy’s body to the area where it was found.
They expect to send the body of the young boy to India for a postmortem examination to determine the exact cause of death within this week.
Anyone with information regarding the case have been asked to contact the police at 9911099, 3000600, or 1412.