State to appeal acquittal of suspects in Anas’ murder

Mohamed Anas: He was stabbed to death inside the Litus Service Center in Male' on July 31, 2017. (Photo/Facebook/Mohamed Anas)

Prosecutor General’s Office (PG Office), on Thursday, has decided to appeal the Criminal Court’s acquittal of the suspects charged in connection to the murder of Mohamed Anas – a young man from R. Meedhoo who was stabbed to death inside the Litus Service Center in Male’ in 2017.

Anas fled into the Litus Service Center on the night of July 31, 2017, after he was chased by eight people on four motorcycles armed with sharp-edged weapons. The assailants chased him into the center, and stabbed him to death. He sustained 24 stab wounds in the attack.

Charges were filed against eight people in connection to Anas’ murder; seven adults and a young man whose identity has not been disclosed as he was 17 years old at the time.

Criminal Court acquitted the seven adult suspects charged in the case on February 25.  

PG Office’s spokesperson and public prosecutor Ahmed Shafeeu told Sun on Thursday that the office has decided to appeal the lower court’s ruling.

“Efforts are underway to prepare for the appeal. It has not been submitted yet, but will be at the earliest possible,” he said.

The seven adults charged in the case were; Ahmed Zayan, from Asurumaage, Lh. Kurendhoo; Usman Shareef from M. Dhimishgu; Afrah Abdul Razzaq from M. Lonumidhilige; Junaih Abdullah from Nannaarige, L. Gan; Hassan Mahfooz from Vestonvilla, S. Feydhoo; Simah Moosa, Dhafthar 1746 and Mohamed Saaz, from Gulfaamge, Th. Kinbidhoo.

Ahmed Zayan, Afrah Abdul Razzaq and Usman Shareef were charged with murder with intent using a sharp-edged weapon in connection to the case.

The remaining suspects – Mohamed Saaz, Junaih Abdulla, Hassan Mahfooz and Simah Moosa – allegedly drove the motorcycles – and have been charged as accomplices to murder with intent using a sharp-edged weapon.

Criminal Court acquitted the seven suspects seven years after the crime was committed citing the evidence submitted by the prosecution was insufficient to prove the charges against the suspects beyond reasonable doubt. 

The government has previously expressed concern over the ruling in a case that saw the victim attacked brutally in the open. 

A video of Anas’ stabbing went viral on social media back then which captures the incident clearly. 


Dr. Ibrahim Mubeen, who attended to Anas upon being brought to ADK Hospital, testified he had already been dead on arrival. While he sustained 24 stab wounds – Dr. Mubeen said the injuries were severe enough to cause instant death.