India grants Maldives MVR 5.49 million to kick-start mobilization works for brand new High Impact Grant Projects.
MoU's related to the MVR 36.5 million projects to be conducted in seven atolls were signed between both countries in October 2021. The Mous was signed under the Indian grant assistance scheme for the High Impact Community Development Project (HICDP) through local bodies.
The projects include:
- Acquisition of two sea ambulances
- Strengthening inclusive education support units in three schools: Gdh. Thinadhoo, L. Gan and Ha. Dhidhdhoo
- Development of an ice plant in L. Maabaidhoo
- Project to upgrade the Olympus hall
- Construction of a multi-purpose council building in N. Miladhoo
- Construction of Dhangethi Cultural Centre
- Installation of street lights in Th. Thimarafushi and Th. Veymandoo.
The overarching Memorandum of Understanding on Indian Grant Assistance for Implementation of High Impact Community Development Projects through local bodies was initially signed between Maldives and India on 17 March 2019. Though it was initially for grant of MVR 85 million, it was renewed on July 23, 2021, with an increment up to MVR 155 million.
The Indian Embassy has remarked that these developmental projects are an essential pillar in the India-Maldives friendship.