Security Services Committee launches inquiry into Nasheed’s security breach

Parliament's Security Services Committee convenes for a meeting on May 8, 2021. (Photo/People's Majlis)

Parliament’s Security Services Committee has made the decision to launch an inquiry the breach of Parliament Speaker, former President Mohamed Nasheed’s security on Thursday, when an IED was detonated outside his residence, leaving him severely wounded.

Security Services Committee made the decision during a meeting on Saturday night.

“The committee made the decision to hold an inquiry into how the security of Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed – the head of one of the three powers of the State – was breached, as he was being provided security and protection by the security services,” announced the Parliament in a statement following the meeting.

A homemade remote-controlled IED was strapped to motorcycle parked nearby Nasheed’s residence, and was detonated at 08:27 pm on Thursday, just as Nasheed, 53, exited his residence and went to get in his car. Nasheed was thrown to the ground and sustained multiple shrapnel wounds, while three members of his security detail and two bystanders sustained minor wounds.

He was rushed to ADK Hospital, where he underwent multiple lifesaving surgeries.

The police are treating the case as a targeted terror attack to assassinate Nasheed.

Security Services Committee had also convened a few hours after Nasheed was attacked, recommending that the police investigate the case as a serious matter, seek assistance from foreign investigative agencies, and collect evidence before they are destroyed.

The attack on Nasheed, who is provided the highest level of security due to the continuous threats against him, has raised questions as to whether the attack took place due to an intelligence failure – from both the police and military.

Both the police and military have stated they received no prior intelligence on the attack.

However, an assessment by the Special Protection Group had flagged the vehicles parked on the narrow street where Nasheed’s residence is located as a security risk, and had requested to have the street turned into a no-parking zone.

Despite the questions, Defense Minister Mariya Ahmed Didi and Chief of Defense Force Major-General Abdulla Shamaal insisted that Nasheed was provided the highest level of security, and that the actions of the agents assigned to his security detail deserve commendation.

Wounded agents had carried Nasheed to the backup security car, and rushed him to the hospital, arriving at the ER at 08:35 pm.

Nasheed sustained multiple shrapnel wounds and underwent 16 hours of lifesaving surgeries. He was taken off like support on Saturday morning, and is breathing on his own.

The doctors who treated him said that though Nasheed is now out of immediate danger, he has a long road ahead to recovery.

The police have announced they are pursing four persons of interest in the case. They made two arrests on Saturday, but the main suspect – the one believed to have detonated the IED – remains at large.

Police have asked for anyone with information regarding the attack to call the hotline 9704000 or submit information to the online evidence submission portal.