The Prosecutor General’s Office (PG Office) has clarified that police have requested for charges to be brought against three individuals in the safari case.
The case involves the alleged sexual abuse of a Kenyan woman by two local men on a safari near Hulhumale’ on July 26.
Police stated that the case had been forwarded to the PG Office after the PG requested to bring some changes to the case.
Public Prosecutor and PG Office spokesperson Ahmed Shafeeu said that police requested charges against three and that the PG Office had accepted the case. He did not specify who the charges were to be brought against nor the charges.
After the case surfaced on June 26, police initially arrested the two men alleged of committing the crime only to release them later causing protests and massive public outrage.
However, Police defended the move by stating that their release would not hamper the investigation and was the best way to carry out the investigation.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Abdul Mannaan Yoosuf had also said in a press conference five months ago that charges would be brought forward soon and that the case had enough evidence for charges.
One of the men alleged in the case is the spouse of a parliamentarian leading to further allegations of political influence in the investigation. It was also alleged that the victim was offered money and even threatened to change her story.
Home Minister Imran Abdulla was also on the receiving end of a backlash from the public over comments regarding the case for which he later clarified. Minister Imran had said that the case was being blown out of context and that the events of the night on the safari were something that could have happened anywhere in the public. He later apologized for offending anyone and blamed the media for falsely reporting the case.