COVID-19: 38 new infections, 29 recoveries

People wear masks as they drive along a road in Male' City on May 12, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 38 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 13,049.

According to HPA, the 38 new cases include; 34 cases from the greater Male’ region, three cases from residential islands outside greater Male’ region, and one case from an operational resort.

Meanwhile, 29 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,968.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,027 active cases.

There are 89 patients in hospitals.

246,233 samples (including repeated samples) have been tested for the new coronavirus to date.

With the 38 new infections this Tuesday, 239 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

December 1: 38 cases

November 30: 17 cases

November 29: 47 cases

November 28: 14 cases

November 27: 44 cases

November 26: 35 cases

November 25: 44 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

62 percent of the 13,049 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

47 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Tuesday.