COVID-19: 29 new infections, 18 recoveries

Migrant workers wear masks to protect from the spread of COVID19 in Male' City on May 26, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Wednesday, announced 29 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,384.

According to HPA, the 29 new cases include 19 locals and 10 foreigners.

24 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five cases were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 18 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,406.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 926 active cases.

There are 351 patients in isolation facilities and 72 in hospitals.

1,360 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 29 new infections this Wednesday, 325 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

November 18: 19 cases

November 17: 41 cases

November 16: 110 cases

November 15: 50 cases

November 14: 42 cases

November 13: 27 cases

November 12: 26 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

7,809 people – making for 63 percent of the 12,384 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

45 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 15 active coronavirus cases in 11 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 29 resorts, including 48 tourists and 90 staff.