COVID-19: 42 new infections, 18 recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 28, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 42additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,154.

According to HPA, the 42 new cases include 28 locals and 14 foreigners.

32 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 10 cases were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 18 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,262.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 843 active cases.

There are 246 patients in isolation facilities and 49 in hospitals.

1,215 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 42 new infections this Saturday, 192 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

November 14: 42 cases

November 13: 27 cases

November 12: 26 cases

November 11: 29 cases

November 10: 21 cases

November 9: 23 cases

November 8: 24 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

7,710 people – making for 63 percent of the 12,154 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

42 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Saturday.

There are 11 active coronavirus cases in seven residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 26 resorts, including 59 tourists and 80 staff.