COVID-19: Maldives records 24 new infections

People wear masks to protect from the spread of COVID19 in Male' City on April 24, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 24 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,178.

According to HPA, the 24 new cases include 20 locals and four foreigners.

All 24 cases were identified from the greater Male’ region.

Meanwhile, 102 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 10,097.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,138 active cases.

There are 369 patients in isolation facilities and 43 in hospitals.

1,572 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 24 new infections this Saturday, 319 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 17: 24 cases

October 16: 41 cases

October 15: 51 cases

October 14: 69 cases

October 13: 50 cases

October 12: 49 cases

October 11: 35 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

7,158 people – making for 63 percent of the 11,178 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

36 coronavirus patients have died from complications.