COVID-19: Maldives records 75 new infections

Health professionals engage in a COVID-19 preparedness drill in Maldives on March 25, 2020. (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Sunday, announced 75 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,724.

According to HPA, the 75 new cases include 22 locals and 53 foreigners.

72 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining three were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 73 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 8,261.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,424 active cases.

There are 686 patients in isolation facilities and 117 in hospitals.

139,812 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 75 new infections this Sunday, 551 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 20: 75 cases

September 19: 81 cases

September 18: 74 cases

September 17: 67 cases

September 16: 99 cases

September 15: 85 cases

September 14: 70 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,127 people – making for 63 percent of the 9,724 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

33 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 50 active coronavirus cases in 24 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. Two islands outside of the capital; G. Dh. Hoadedhoo and G. Dh. Madaveli are under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 26 resorts, including 15 tourists and 39 staff.