COVID-19: Maldives records 121 new infections

People wear masks as they drive along a road in Male' City on May 12, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Sunday, announced 121 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,173.

According to HPA, the 121 new cases include 75 locals and 46 foreigners.

102 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 19 were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 271 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 7,326.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,809 active cases.

There are 1,087 patients in isolation facilities and 113 in hospitals.

130,356 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 121 new infections this Sunday, 589 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 13: 121 cases

September 12: 62 cases

September 11: 90 cases

September 10: 66 cases

September 9: 93 cases

September 8: 74 cases

September 7: 83 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

5,807 people – making for 63 percent of the 9,173 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

32 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are active coronavirus cases in 25 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. Three islands outside of the capital; G. Dh. Hoadedhoo, G. Dh. Madaveli, and N. Manadhoo are under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 32 resorts, including 21 tourists and 48 staff.