COVID-19: Maldives records 141 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 141 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 8,281.

According to HPA, the 141 new cases include 98 locals and 43 foreigners.

134 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining seven were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 145 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 5,483.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,763 active cases.

There are 1,304 patients in isolation facilities and 157 in hospitals.

117,064 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 141 new infections this Thursday, 952 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 3: 141 cases

September 2: 137 cases

September 1: 199 cases

August 31: 137 cases

August 30: 89 cases

August 29: 109 cases

August 28: 140 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

5,151 people – making for 62 percent of the 8,281 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

29 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 95 active coronavirus cases in 39 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. One island outside of the capital, Sh. Feevah, is under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 20 resorts, including 16 tourists and 45 staff.