With 135 new infections, coronavirus cases surpass 7,000

Male' City on August 23, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 135 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 7,047.

According to HPA, the 135new cases are 109 Maldivians, 15 Bangladeshis, eight Indians, two Egyptians and one Nepali.

126 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining nine were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 142 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 4,439.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,580 active cases.

There are 1,460 patients in isolation facilities and 173 in hospitals.

105,855 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 135 new infections this Tuesday, 968 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

August 25: 135 cases

August 24: 133 cases

August 23: 119 cases

August 22: 96 cases

August 21: 194 cases

August 20: 145 cases

August 19: 146 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

4,242 people – making for 60percent of the 7,047 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 40 percent are foreign nationals. And 2,176 people – making for 30 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 416 Indians, 77 Sri Lankans, 67 Nepalese, 12 Italians, 11 Filipinos and eight Indonesians.

28 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Tuesday.