With 170 new infections, coronavirus cases surpass 6,000

People wear masks as they drive along a road in Male' City on May 12, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 170 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 6,079.

According to HPA, the 170 new cases are 139 Maldivians, 23 Bangladeshis, seven Indians, and one South African.

169 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while one was identified from the atolls

Meanwhile, 160 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 3,648.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,407 active cases.

There are 1,427 patients in isolation facilities and 144 in hospitals.

98,175 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 170 new infections this Tuesday, 856 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

August 18: 170 cases

August 17: 124 cases

August 16: 106 cases

August 15: 107 cases

August 14: 78 cases

August 13: 128 cases

August 12: 143 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

3,461 people – making for 56 percent of the 6,079 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 44 percent are foreign nationals. And 2,059 people – making for 33 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 383 Indians, 62 Nepalese, and 60 Sri Lankans, 11 Italians, eight Indonesians and eight Filipinos.

24 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Tuesday.

There are 18 residential islands and cities with active coronavirus cases outside of the greater Male’ region; H. A. Filladhoo, H. A. Ihavandhoo, H. Dh. Naavaidhoo, H. Dh. Kurinbi, N. Miladhoo, B. Kamadhoo, B. Kudarikilu, R. Hulhudhuffaaru, Lh. Naifaru, K. Thulusdhoo, K. Hinmafushi, A. Dh. Maamingili, F. Nilandhoo, V. Keyodhoo, Th. Madifushi, Th. Vilufushi, Fuvahmulah City and Addu City (Hithadhoo, Feydhoo).

There are also active cases in 13 resorts, which include eight tourists and 13 staff.