COVID-19: 124 new infections, 139 recoveries

Rapid Response teams (RRT) operate in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 124 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 5,909.

According to HPA, the 124 new cases are 100 Maldivians, 16 Bangladeshis, three Indians, two Nepalese, one Filipino, one Ukrainian and one Australian.

118 cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining six were identified from the atolls

Meanwhile, 139 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 3,488.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,389 active cases.

There are 1,478 patients in isolation facilities and 138 in hospitals.

97,211 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 124 new infections this Monday, 752 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

August 17: 124 cases

August 16: 106 cases

August 15: 107 cases

August 14: 78 cases

August 13: 128 cases

August 12: 143 cases

August 11: 66 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

3,323 people – making for 56 percent of the 5,909 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 44 percent are foreign nationals. And 2,035 people – making for 34 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 376 Indians, 62 Nepalese, and 60 Sri Lankans, 11 Italians, eight Indonesians and eight Filipinos.

23 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Monday.

There are 16 residential islands and cities with active coronavirus cases outside of the greater Male’ region; H. A. Filladhoo, H. A. Ihavandhoo, H. Dh. Naavaidhoo, H. Dh. Kurinbi, N. Miladhoo, B. Kamadhoo, B. Kudarikilu, R. Hulhudhuffaaru, Lh. Naifaru, K. Thulusdhoo, K. Hinmafushi, A. Dh. Maamingili, F. Nilandhoo, V. Keyodhoo, Th. Madifushi, Fuvahmulah City and Addu City (Hithadhoo, Feydhoo).

There are also active cases in 12 resorts, which include seven tourists and 13 staff.