Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Sunday, announced 143 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 5,041.
According to HPA, the 143 new cases are 107 Maldivians, 28 Bangladeshis, six Indians, and two Nepalese.
140 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while three identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 13 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 2,804.
The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,218 active cases.
There are 1,478 patients in isolation facilities and 140 in hospitals.
88,392 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.
With the 143 new infections this Sunday, 877 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
August 9: 143 cases
August 8: 129 cases
August 7: 89 cases
August 6: 86 cases
August 5: 148 cases
August 4: 153 cases
August 3: 129 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
2,727 people – making for 54 percent of the 5,041 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 46 percent are foreign nationals. And 1,830 people – making for 36 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 342 Indians, 52 Nepalese, and 44 Sri Lankans, 11 Italians, eight Indonesians and six Filipinos.
19 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
Greater public movement following the relaxation of many of the coronavirus restriction in July has led to a surge in coronavirus cases. An increasing number of new coronavirus cases are unlinked to existing clusters, which health authorities warn indicates a wide community spread.
Following the surge, authorities have now declared masks mandatory in the greater Male’ region as well as all other residential islands with confirmed coronavirus cases. Authorities have announced a 10:00 pm to 05:00 am curfew in the capital, and a ban on all non-essential travel of persons from the capital to other residential islands.
Authorities have also urged that people in all residential islands, even those with no confirmed cases, wear masks when in public.