COVID-19: 67 new infections, 13 recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) collects samples for COVID-19 testing in Male' City on May 14, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 67 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 3,369.

According to HPA, the 67 new cases are; 43 Maldivians, 14 Bangladeshis, six Indians, three Indonesians and one American.

Meanwhile, 13 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries remains at 2,547 people.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 792 active cases.

There are 602 people in isolation facilities.

74,107 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 67 new infections this Monday, 370 people have tested positive over the past one-week period.

July 27: 67 cases

July 26: 50 cases

July 25: 77 cases

July 24: 55 cases

July 23: 17 cases

July 22: 59 cases

July 21: 45 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

1,531 people – making for 45 percent of the 3,369 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 55 percent are foreign nationals.

The rest of the coronavirus cases include 1,472 Bangladeshis, 264 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 25 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

15 coronavirus patients have died from complications.