Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 68 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 2,899.
According to HPA, the 68 new cases are; 47 Maldivians, nine Bangladeshis, four Indians, four Sri Lankans, three Filipinos and one Nepali.
Meanwhile, 18 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 2,339 people.
The new developments mean Maldives now has 530 active cases.
There are 440 people in isolation facilities, and 32 people in quarantine facilities.
65, 176 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
41 percent of the 2,899 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 59 percent are foreign nationals. 1,353 people – making for 46 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 1,207 Maldivians, 243 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 23 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.
15 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Thursday; a 42-year-old Maldivian man who was undergoing treatment at the specialized intensive care unit in Dharumavantha Hospital.
The beginning of July has seen further relaxation of coronavirus restrictions; mosques in the greater Male’ region have been reopened for congregational prayers for the first time in over three months, cafes and restaurants have been allowed to reopen for dine-in services, and government offices and courthouses have officially reopened.
While those who leave the greater Male’ region are still subject to mandatory quarantine, people from other residential islands are now allowed to enter the capital without special authorization.
The country’s borders, which were closed on March 27, reopened after more than three months last Wednesday.
The relaxation of the restrictions has been marked by an increase in daily infections.
With the 68 new infections this Thursday, 346 people have tested positive over the past one-week period.
July 16: 68 cases
July 15: 30 cases
July 14: 39 cases
July 13: 31 cases
July 12: 67 cases
July 11: 47 cases
July 10: 64 cases
Health Emergency Operations Center (HEOC) continues to urge the public to maintain social distancing and other preventive measures.