COVID-19: 39 new infections, 12 recoveries

A health professional collects samples for coronavirus tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 39 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 2,801.

According to HPA, the 39 new cases are; 27 Maldivians, seven Bangladeshis and five Indians.

Meanwhile, 12 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 2,302 people.

The new developments means Maldives now has 470 active cases.

There are 410 people in isolation facilities, and 47 people in quarantine facilities.

63,599 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus testing.

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic five days later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

39 percent of the 2,302 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 61 percent are foreign nationals. 1,343 people – making for 48 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 1,131 Maldivians, 239 Indians, 45 Nepalese, and 19 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

14 coronavirus patients have died from complications. The latest fatality was recorded earlier this Monday; a 79-year-old Maldivian woman hospitalized at the Hulhumale’ Medical Facility.

The beginning of July has seen further relaxation of coronavirus restrictions; mosques in the greater Male’ region have been reopened for congregational prayers for the first time in over three months, cafes and restaurants have been allowed to reopen for dine-in services, and government offices and courthouses have officially reopened.

While those who leave the greater Male’ region are still subject to mandatory quarantine, people from other residential islands are now allowed to enter the capital without special authorization.

The relaxation of the restrictions has been marked by an increase in daily infections.

With the 39 new infections this Monday, 300 people have tested positive over the past one-week period.

July 14: 39 cases

July 13: 31 cases

July 12: 67 cases

July 11: 47 cases

July 10: 64 cases

July 9: 36 cases

July 8: 16 cases

Health Emergency Operations Center (HEOC) continues to urge the public to maintain social distancing and other preventive measures.