Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced a coronavirus patient hospitalized in the Hulhumale’ Medical Facility has passed away, marking the country’s 14th coronavirus-related death.
The patient was identified by HPA as a 79-year-old Maldivian woman.
She passed away at 05:05 pm this Tuesday.
Today evening at 05:05pm, a 79-year-old Maldivian female admitted at HMF has passed away.— Health Protection Agency (@HPA_MV) July 14, 2020
This is the 14th #COVID19 death in the Maldives.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved family. May Allah grant her soul eternal peace in heaven.
The death of the 79-year-old patient comes a week after Maldives recorded its last coronavirus-related death.
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic five days later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
2,762 people have tested positive for the new coronavirus in Maldives, out of whom 2,290 people have since recovered.
Active coronavirus cases currently stands at 444, and the recovery rate stands at 82 percent.
39 percent of the 2,762 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 61 percent are foreign nationals. 1,336 people – making for 48 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 1,104 Maldivians, 234 Indians, 45 Nepalese, and 19 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.
The beginning of July has seen further relaxation of coronavirus restrictions; mosques in the greater Male’ region have been reopened for congregational prayers for the first time in over three months, cafes and restaurants have been allowed to reopen for dine-in services, and offices, gyms, spas and salons have also been reopened.
The relaxation of the restrictions has been marked by an increase in daily infections.
HPA has appealed to people who show symptoms consistent with the new coronavirus, along with their contacts, to stay home and not go out for work or any other purpose.
The agency has also urged against holding unnecessary gatherings.