National Emergency Operations Center (NEOC) has announced that just 12 positive cases of COVID-19 were identified in the Maldives from a pool of 819 test samples.
Speaking in a press conference tonight, NEOC spokesperson Mabrouq Azeez said that the positive cases were identified between 18:00 yesterday to 18:00 tonight. The confirmed cases today involved 11 locals and one Indian national.
The government’s dashboard also read that the number of recoveries in the country from the virus had increased to 608, which means that 120 individuals have recovered from the virus today. The recovery rate for the country is now 33.24 percent.
Currently, there are 11 patients under treatment for the virus at Tree Top Hospital. Speaking in tonight's presser, NEOC medical officer Dr. Ibrahim Afzal said that there were no patients under treatment at the Dharumavantha Hospital's DH11 facility.
The total number of positive cases in the country currently stands at 1,841.
The Maldives has so far recorded seven deaths from the virus. Fatalities were reported today and yesterday as well. An 89-year old local woman in isolation passed away today.
The total number of active cases in the country currently stands at 1,224. There are 1,277 individuals in isolation and 1,391 in quarantine.
The Maldives identified its first COVID-19 case on March 7 and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic on March 12.
While COVID-19 cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first COVID-19 case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.
The populous Male’ City has since become the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the country, contributing to over 90 percent of the total cases. However, due to control in the number of cases, authorities have introduced some easements to restrictions that are to be rolled back in phases.