Driving by motorcycle on the Sinamale’ Bridge and the Hulhumale’ Highway without a helmet will be banned starting from March 10, announces Minister of Transport, Aishath Nahula.
Speaking during a press conference held by Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation this Thursday afternoon, Nahula said she strongly urges members of the public to use helmets while driving even before the ban takes effect.
Nahula announced the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation will publish a regulation on use of the Sina-Male’ Bridge at a later date.
She warned Traffic Police will be mobilized to monitor adherence to the helmet ban, and those found to violate the ban will be penalized.
Nahula stressed that safety measures such as the use of helmets while driving is a civic responsibility.
Deputy Director-General of Transport Authority, Mohamed Rafeeu said helmets will be compulsory not just on the Sinamale’ Bridge, but on the Male’ City ring road as well.
Rafeeu announced the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation and the Transport Authority will launch a one-week awareness campaign on the importance of using helmets while driving in the second week of February. He said the offices were working on providing free helmets during the campaign.
The legal speed limit for transport over the Sinamale’ Bridge is 25 miles – 50 miles per hour.
Using helmets had previously been optional but highly encouraged by both Transport Authority and Maldives Police Service. The decision to make it compulsory a string of dangerous traffic collisions on the Sina-Male’ Bridge and the Hulhumale’ Highway.