Eight individuals have been honored with the Alimas Galan (Diamond Pen) presented to in celebration of 75 years of journalism in the Maldives.
The honor was presented to veterans of journalism to commemorate the years of work.
At the ceremony held for the journalism Awards for the year 2017 and to celebrate 5 years of journalism, the Alimas Galan honor was presented by the President of the Maldives, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
The winners of the Alimas Galan Honor are:
- Former Editor of Haveeru, Dr. Ali Rafeeq, who holds a PhD in journalism.
- Leading figure at Afathis News, Abdulla Naeem
- Editor of Mihaaru News, Moosa Latheef
- President of the Maldives Broadcasting Commission, Mohamed Shaheeb
- Mohamed Saeed Moosa Wajudhee
- Mohamed Saleem (Hoarafushi)
- CEO Sun Media Group and Editor in Chief at Sun Online, Ahmed Zahir (Hiriga)
- Head of V-Media, Imad Latheef
Along with the Alimas Galan Honor, the Golden Pen Award was also given to nine individuals at the special ceremony tonight, by the Home Minister, Sheikh Imran Abdulla.
Winners of the Golden Pen are:
- Former Editor of Afathis News, Ahmed Zahir (Feary)
- Executive Editor of PSM, Mohamed Jameel
- Managing Editor of Mihaaru News, Ismail Naseer
- Editor at Mihaaru News, Ahmed Hamdhoon
- Former Chief Editor at Avan News, Adam Haleem (Mundu)
- Former COO of Raajje TV, Hussain Fiyaz Moosa
- Chief Editor of CNM, Ismail Rasheed
- Former Senior Editor at Mihaaru News, Ahmed Abdulla Saeed
- Senior Assistant Editor - Foreign at Mihaaru News, Hassan Amir
The Journalism awards in different categories of the field were presented at the ceremony along with honoring those with long service to journalism.