Woman sustains burns in gas explosion

Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH). (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

A fire resulted from a gas leak in a home in Male’ City on Sunday, leaving a woman injured with facial burns.

A spokesperson from the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) said the gas cylinder had been leaking when the woman turned on the stove, resulting in a gas explosion.

The flames from the explosion burned the woman’s face.

She is being treated at the Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH).

The incident took place in a home in Maafannu.

The extent of the injuries is unclear at this point.