The Democrats and opposition coalition on Sunday announced decision to form an alliance in order to end the rule of President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
Led by former President Mohamed Nasheed – Democrats is a breakway political party from ruling Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has been working with opposition coalition parties Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) and Peoples National Congress (PNC).
The first official meeting on working together was held on Sunday, at Nasheed’s Ocean library.
After the meeting, representatives of both parties met with the press, and said that they were looking into the options on how to work together to bring an end to the current administration.
“We will do everything to end the government,” said MP for Central Henveiru Ali Azim.
MP for Naifaru constituency MP Ahmed Shiyam also reiterated the same sentiments, and added that they will continue to hold these discussions.
The discussions between the parties will be spearheaded by the following representatives.
· Ali Azim – MP for Central Henveiru
· Hassan Latheef – MP for Henveiru West
· Eva Abdulla – MP for Galolhu North
· Hussain Amr - Former Managing Director of STO
· Ahmed Shiyam – MP for Naifaru
· Ahmed Thorig – MP for Mahibadhoo
· Hussain Mohamed Latheef - MP for Faresmathoda
· Mohamed Hussain Shareef - PPM senator
· Ibrahim Shujau - PNC Vice President
However, both parties will still be moving forward with their seperate presidential candidates.
PPM had presented its party ticket to former President Abdulla Yameen – who is currently serving a jail sentence.
Meanwhile Democrats have yet to officially announce a candidate, but has confirmed that they will be represented in the presidential race.