A home owned by an elderly couple burned down in a fire in HA. Filladhoo on early Thursday.
Filladhoo councilman Mohamed Razeef told Sun the fire broke out at Hithahfinivaage due to an electric short circuit.
The fire spread to the rest of the house within minutes.
The elderly couple who owns the house had been asleep when the fire broke out. The house is also inhabited by two women and three children.
The fire burned the house beyond use.
The residents of the house have been moved to a temporary shelter.
The fire was put out by civilians.
“Everyone gathered within 15 to 20 minutes after the fire broke out. The fire was put out through the combined effort of everyone. But we faced difficulty using water pumps to put out the fire as it was low tide,” said Razeef.
A similar incident took place in a home in HDh. Makunudhoo last week, which too is believed to have resulted from an electric short circuit.