Health Protection Agency (HPA) announced on Monday that a young COVID-19 patient admitted at Hulhumale’ Medical Facility has passed away.
HPA identified the latest fatality as a 27-year-old Maldivian male.
He passed away at 06:00 pm this Monday.
“This is the 198th COVID-19 death in the Maldives,” said HPA.
He is one of Maldives’ youngest COVID-19 victims.
Meanwhile, the death of a 55-year-old Maldivian female admitted at DH11, which HPA reported earlier this Monday as Maldives’ 198th death, has been ruled a non-COVID-19 related death following further assessment.
“After further assessment, it has been determined that the immediate cause of death in this patient is not Covid-19,” said HPA on Monday evening. “This is therefore not a Covid death”.
Maldives experienced an alarming surge in both infection rate and fatalities following the ease in restrictive measures in April. Infection rates have since begun dropping with the implementation of new restrictive measures in May, but fatalities continue to be high.
Last May saw the highest number of COVID-19 fatalities in a single month, with 88 deaths. This June has seen 34 deaths.
Maldives has 70,301 confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 224 new cases recorded on Sunday. 60,769 patients have since recovered.
The country currently has 9,326 active cases. 88 of the patients are hospitalized.