With 17 new infections, coronavirus cases surpass 13,000

People wear masks as they drive along a road in Male' City on May 12, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 17 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 13,011.

According to HPA, the 17 new cases include; 15 cases from the greater Male’ region, one case from a residential island outside greater Male’ region, and one case from an operational resort.

Meanwhile, 37 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,939.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,019 active cases.

There are 95 patients in hospitals.

244,621 samples (including repeated samples) have been tested for the new coronavirus to date.

With the 17 new infections this Monday, 253 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

November 30: 17 cases

November 29: 47 cases

November 28: 14 cases

November 27: 44 cases

November 26: 35 cases

November 25: 44 cases

November 24: 52 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

8,168 people – making for 62 percent of the 13,011 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

46 coronavirus patients have died from complications.