COVID-19: 14 new infections, 32 recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 28, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 14 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,947.

According to HPA, the 14 new cases include eight cases from the greater Male’ region, two from residential islands outside greater Male’ region, three from operational resorts, and one from an island under development.

Meanwhile, 32 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,781.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,113 active cases.

There are 92 patients in hospitals.

241,346 samples (including repeated samples) have been tested for the new coronavirus to date.

With the 14 new infections this Saturday, 369 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

November 28: 14 cases

November 27: 44 cases

November 26: 35 cases

November 25: 44 cases

November 24: 52 cases

November 23: 150 cases

November 22: 30 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

8,112 people – making for 62 percent of the 12,947 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

46 coronavirus patients have died from complications.