COVID-19: 52 new infections, 45 recoveries

A man wears protective gear to protect from the spread of COVID-19 as he waits outside a shop in Male' City on May 12, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 52 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,810.

According to HPA, the 52 new cases include 45 cases from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 7 cases were identified from operational resorts.

Meanwhile, 45 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,660.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,097 active cases.

There are 95 patients in hospitals.

234,712 samples (including repeated samples) have been tested for the new coronavirus to date.

With the 52 new infections this Wednesday, 445 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

November 24: 52 cases

November 23: 150 cases

November 22: 30 cases

November 21: 32 cases

November 20: 94 cases

November 19: 68 cases

November 18: 19 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

62 percent of the 12,810 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

46 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 14 active coronavirus cases in 14 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 32 resorts, including 58 tourists and 233 staff.