The total number of COVID-19 cases identified from the Kandima Maldives resort has risen to 60.
The first case from the resort was identified on November 1.
In a press conference last night, Health Emergency Operations Center (HEOC) spokesperson Dr. Nazla Rafeeq said that the cases from the resort had now increased to 60.
“This includes positive cases in quarantine. Currently, there are 44 contacts.” Said Dr. Nazla.
The resort is in a state of monitoring since the first case. The status means that no more visitors will be permitted on the island for the time being. Those already on the island can only depart after contact tracing leaves them clean and they test negative for the virus.
The initial case of COVID-19 from the resort was identified when a sickly employee of the resort passed away at Dh. Atoll Hospital while receiving treatment. The resort is accused of misleading authorities regarding the case. The deceased was the 38th COVID-19 death in the Maldives.
The family of the deceased, alleges that the resort was negligent in providing healthcare and that the staffer had suffered for two weeks before eventually passing away.
Some local media have reported that the permit of operations provided to the resort by the Tourism Ministry was revoked due to the case, however, the HEOC stated that no such word had been received. The Tourism Ministry has also not confirmed this.