Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 36 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,737.
According to HPA, the 36 new cases include 21 locals and 15 foreigners.
31 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five cases were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 33 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 10,916.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 776 active cases.
There are 228 patients in isolation facilities and 56 in hospitals.
1,318 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 36 new infections this Monday, 205 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
November 2: 36 cases
November 1: 42 cases
October 31: 16 cases
October 30: 27 cases
October 29: 25 cases
October 28: 24 cases
October 27: 35 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.
7,480 people – making for 63 percent of the 11,737 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.
38 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
There are 15 active coronavirus cases in 13 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.
There are also active cases in 31 resorts, including 43 tourists and 97 staff.