COVID-19: Maldives records 45 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 28, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Wednesday, announced 45 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,316.

According to HPA, the 45 new cases include eight locals and 37 foreigners.

42 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining three cases were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 50 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 10,284.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 988 active cases.

There are 340 patients in isolation facilities and 38 in hospitals.

1,801 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 45 new infections this Wednesday, 254 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 21: 45 cases

October 20: 39 cases

October 19: 22 cases

October 18: 32 cases

October 17: 24 cases

October 16: 41 cases

October 15: 51 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

7,243 people – making for 64 percent of the 11,316 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 36 percent are foreign nationals.

37 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 73 active coronavirus cases in 21 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 20 resorts, including 16 tourists and 28 staff.