Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 22 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,232.
According to HPA, the 22 new cases include 17 locals and five foreigners.
18 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining four were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 37 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 10,201.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 987 active cases.
There are 354 patients in isolation facilities and 39 in hospitals.
1,338 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 22 new infections this Monday, 289 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
October 19: 22 cases
October 18: 32 cases
October 17: 24 cases
October 16: 41 cases
October 15: 51 cases
October 14: 69 cases
October 13: 50 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
7,202 people – making for 64 percent of the 11,232 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 36 percent are foreign nationals.
37 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
There are 75 active coronavirus cases in 21 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.
There are also active cases in 18 resorts, including 16 tourists and 25 staff.