With 69 new infections, coronavirus cases surpass 11,000

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the port area of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 8, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Wednesday, announced 69 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,062.

According to HPA, the 69 new cases include 29 locals and 40 foreigners.

63 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining six were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 47 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 9,880.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,140 active cases.

There are 367 patients in isolation facilities and 61 in hospitals.

1,221 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 69 new infections this Wednesday, 406 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 14: 69 cases

October 13: 50 cases

October 12: 49 cases

October 11: 35 cases

October 10: 51 cases

October 9: 66 cases

October 8: 86 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

7,068 people – making for 63 percent of the 11,062 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

35 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 152 active coronavirus cases in 19 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 19 resorts, including 14 tourists and 19 staff.