COVID-19: Maldives records 53 new infections

Police patrol the streets of Male' City on August 23, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Sunday, announced 53 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 10,098.

According to HPA, the 53 new cases include 42 locals and 11 foreigners.

47 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining six were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 93 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 8,847.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,210 active cases.

There are 620 patients in isolation facilities and 83 in hospitals.

149,135 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 53 new infections this Sunday, 374 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 27: 53 cases

September 26: 31 cases

September 25: 75 cases

September 24: 54 cases

September 23: 67 cases

September 22: 48 cases

September 21: 46 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,368 people – making for 63 percent of the 10,098 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

34 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 35 active coronavirus cases in 19 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. G. Dh. Hoadedhoo, H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi and H. Dh. Nolhivaram remain under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 23 resorts, including 12 tourists and 30 staff.