COVID-19: 31 new infections, 81 recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 28, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 31 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 10,045.

According to HPA, the 31 new cases include 25 locals and six foreigners.

26 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 81 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 8,754.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,250 active cases.

There are 771 patients in isolation facilities and 84 in hospitals.

147,681 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 31 new infections this Saturday, 396 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 26: 31 cases

September 25: 75 cases

September 24: 54 cases

September 23: 67 cases

September 22: 48 cases

September 21: 46 cases

September 20: 75 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,327 people – making for 62 percent of the 10,045 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

34 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 37 active coronavirus cases in 20 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. G. Dh. Hoadedhoo, H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi and H. Dh. Nolhivaram remain under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 24 resorts, including 12 tourists and 30 staff.