COVID-19: Maldives records 54 new infections

People wear masks as they drive along a road in Male' City on May 12, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 54 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,939.

According to HPA, the 54 new cases include 30 locals and 24 foreigners.

50 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining four were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 67 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 8,597.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,301 active cases.

There are 645 patients in isolation facilities and 87 in hospitals.

144,928 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 54 new infections this Thursday, 445 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 24: 54 cases

September 23: 67 cases

September 22: 48 cases

September 21: 46 cases

September 20: 75 cases

September 19: 81 cases

September 18: 74 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,249 people – making for 62 percent of the 9,939 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

34 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 40 active coronavirus cases in 21 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. G. Dh. Hoadedhoo remains under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 26 resorts, including 14 tourists and 34 staff.