COVID-19: Maldives records 66 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 22, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 66 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 8,900.

According to HPA, the 66 new cases include 50 locals and 16 foreigners.

63 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining three were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 271 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 6,559.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,304 active cases.

There are 1,029 patients in isolation facilities and 134 in hospitals.

126,675 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 66 new infections this Thursday, 619 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 10: 66 cases

September 9: 93 cases

September 8: 74 cases

September 7: 83 cases

September 6: 98 cases

September 5: 125 cases

September 4: 80 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

5,632 people – making for 63 percent of the 8,900 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

31 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are active coronavirus cases in 25 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. Two islands outside of the capital, G. Dh. Hoadedhoo and G. Dh. Madaveli, are under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 22 resorts, including 17 tourists and 41 staff.