COVID-19: 96 new infections, 101 recoveries

Rapid Response teams (RRT) operate in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 8, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 96 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 6,660.

According to HPA, the 96 new cases are 64 Maldivians, 26 Bangladeshis, four Sri Lankans, one Indian, and one Nepali.

All 96 cases were identified from the greater Male’ region.

Meanwhile, 101 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 4,113.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,521 active cases.

There are 1,419 patients in isolation facilities and 169 in hospitals.

102,682 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 96 new infections this Saturday, 981 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

August 22: 96 cases

August 21: 194 cases

August 20: 145 cases

August 19: 146 cases

August 18: 170 cases

August 17: 124 cases

August 16: 106 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

3,931 people – making for 59 percent of the 6,660 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 41 percent are foreign nationals. And 2,134 people – making for 32 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 396 Indians, 75 Sri Lankans, 65 Nepalese, 12 Italians, nine Filipinos and eight Indonesians.

26 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 20 residential islands and cities with active coronavirus cases outside of the greater Male’ region; H. Dh. Naavaidhoo, H. Dh. Kurinbi, N. Miladhoo, B. Kamadhoo, R. Inguraidhoo, R. Hulhudhuffaaru, Lh. Hinnavaru, Lh. Naifaru, K. Gulhi, K. Thulusdhoo, K. Hinmafushi, A. Dh. Maamingili, . Dh. Omadhoo, F. Nilandhoo, V. Keyodhoo, V. Thinadhoo, Th. Madifushi, Th. Vilufushi, Th. Thimarafushi, and Addu City (Hithadhoo, Feydhoo).

There are also active cases in 10 resorts, which include four tourists and 13 staff.